Kleen Sweep – San Diego Chimney Sweep
This page lists commonly asked customer questions regarding chimney sweeping and inspection, chimney repair, smoke problems, and other questions of interest related to our chimney sweep service in San Diego.
Click on the question to see the answer.Why should we choose KLEEN SWEEP as our chimney professional?
- Because we are CSIA certified chimney professionals.
- Our certification and ongoing training enables us to give you a licensed professional chimney sweeping service, and provide you, your San Diego realtor, and your insurance company with accurate inspection reports on the safety condition of your fireplace and chimney. Our training also helps us to keep up to date with the latest changes in our industry and building safety code changes.
- We carry business liability insurance for your protection.
- We are locally owned and operated. Experienced San Diego Chimney Sweep since 2000.
- The owner of the company, Matt Kastlunger, performs and finishes your chimney and fireplace service himself.
- Affordable and professional chimney & fireplace inspection & cleaning that will protect your family from dangerous chimney fires!
Please call us for more info or to schedule an appointment, 619 460-6882.
• Chimney and Fireplace Inspection and CleaningWhat is causing a strong smoke odor coming from our fireplace?
In most cases, the fireplace smells bad simply because it is in need of a good, thorough cleaning. Over time, the accumulation of ash and creosote will begin to smell. Excessive creosote accumulation in your chimney can lead to a chimney fire. This is why it is recommended that you call a professional chimney sweep service for an inspection.
How often should my fireplace & chimney be inspected or swept?
According to the CSIA, NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) standards require that “Chimneys, fireplaces, and vents shall be inspected at least once a year for soundness, freedom from deposits, and correct clearances. Cleaning, maintenance, and repairs shall be done if necessary.”
How long will it take to clean my chimney?
It usually takes about 1-2 hours to clean most masonry chimneys including setup of tarps, vacuum and tools, cleaning the chimney, and reloading our van when completed. We guarantee absolutely No Mess in your home.
Am I required to have a chimney inspection when I sell my house?
Yes, a Level 2 inspection is required for a sale or transfer of a property or following an event that has damaged a chimney (such as a fire or a seismic event). The buyer usually pays for the inspection, but a seller may want to have his chimney(s) cleaned and inspected prior to putting the property on the market, as an extra benefit.
What areas of San Diego county do you service?
With our office based in La Mesa, we provide chimney sweep services to cover most areas of San Diego County.
Please call us if you do not see your service area. 619 460-6882
SERVICE AREA MAP
• Chimney and Fireplace RepairThe firebox brick in my prefab fireplace has cracks in it. Can you repair this?
The bricks in the firebox are not really individual bricks. It’s actually a refractory heat panel made to look like brick. If the cracks are hairline there is really no need to replace the panel. However, larger cracks expose the metal backing. The problem with that is wear on the metal behind the panel and a potential fire danger for your home. Panel replacement is not a DIY project. This should be done by a certified chimney technician. The panels will need to be cut and sized properly, and in some cases, multiple panels need to be fit together.
When I build a fire my house smells like smoke?
There can be various reasons why you’re getting fireplace smoke into your home. However, there are some things you can do yourself right away to alleviate the problem:
1. Make sure the damper is wide open.
2. To get the air moving up your chimney just open a window in the same room you are lighting the fire in. This will bring positive pressure into the room, causing air to be drawn up the chimney and allowing the smoke to move upwards and out, not into your your home.
3. Warm up your chimney flue by burning rolled up newspapers initially for about 15 minutes.
If these DIY measures are not helping then give us a call. We can diagnose the situation and find a solution for you. One of the most affordable things we can do is to determine whether an inexpensive Smoke-Guard will solve the problem.
• Wood and Pellet StovesHow often should a wood or pellet stove be inspected or cleaned?
It should be inspected by a CSIA professional at least once a year and swept and or repaired as needed. Typically pellet stoves require regular maintenance and cleaning including cleaning the inner firebox, the heat exchanger, the hopper and the ash pan. Please consult your owners manual for specific manufacturer recommendations. The cleaner the stove the better the heat transfer and efficiency.
Do you stock parts for wood and pellet stoves?
We do stock common parts but also order specific parts as needed. That includes heat sensors, glass, burn pots, fire brick and control boards. We charge a service call / inspection fee for diagnosing repairs. The return visit for the repair itself will have an hourly rate fee applied in addition to materials.
• Pricing and DiscountsHow much does it cost for a chimney inspection in your San Diego service area?
The cost of a chimney inspection depends on the Level of inspection:
• Level-One – includes a visual check of the fireplace and chimney without any special equipment or climbing up on the roof. We look for damage, obstructions, creosote buildup, and soot; and then we let you know if the chimney requires sweeping. If so, the chimney sweep will use brushes, extension poles, and a vacuum, and clean your chimney and fireplace right then and there.
• Level-Two – This includes a level-one chimney inspection, plus the time to visit the roof, attic, and crawl space in search of disrepair and the use of special special tools. It concludes with a sweep, if necessary, and a written report on what repair is needed.
How much does it cost to clean a chimney and fireplace?
The answer to that question will depend on your individual situation:
• How difficult is your roof to access?
• How high is the chimney and where is it located?
• What type of installation do you have?
• How much and what type of creosote is in the chimney?
A short telephone interview 619 460-6882 will usually be helpful for the purpose of estimating the cost of an affordable chimney cleaning for your system and budget.
Please keep in mind that a chimney cleaning can cost more in some cases. For example, stage three creosote cannot be removed with standard chimney brushes and may require mechanical cleaning methods. A plugged chimney may also take more time and effort to clean.
If you have a fireplace insert that is installed with no liner attached to it, the stove will have to be removed from the fireplace and then reinstalled after the cleaning is completed. Removal and reinstallation of the stove is time consuming. There may be an extra charge for that service.
Do you offer discounts?
Feel free to call or email us with a question not covered by our FAQ section. We pride ourselves in Customer Service and are standing by to answer your questions.
To schedule an appointment, please call us at 619 460-6882.